- 250g or 1/2 lb. brown lentils
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 small-medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley, or 1 heaping tb dried
- dash of pepper
- salt to taste
- Put lentils and bay leaf in a medium pot with water. Let them come to a boil while you chop your other ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients except salt.
- Simmer, covered, 30-40 minutes, until lentils are cooked through. You may need to add more water during the cooking.
- When lentils are cooked, add salt to taste and letter simmer 2 more minutes.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas.
Serves 3-4 as a main dish.